Saturday, February 04, 2006

"I can if I choose to" ( Part II)

Austin notes in a footnote ( p. 213, Phil. Papers 3rd Ed ) that "I can if I choose to" used to mean predominantly something like " I can and I have the choice", where "can" is referring to my (legal) right to do the thing in question. I cannot confirm the historical part of Austin's observation but the usage he alludes to persists today.
My neighbor owns a riverfront property on Florida's Inland Waterway. Building on these lots is heavily restricted. We visit his property and I ask him, "Can you build a home on this lot?" He replies, "I can if I choose to." He means that his title allows him to put a residence on the property, and he may do so. He hasn't yet decided. He does not mean that he has the right IF he chooses to.do so. Perhaps at law some right arise by fiat, but that is a bizarre supposition in this case and we all discount it. I understand my neighbor to have said, in a standardly elliptical way, " I have the right to build here, and if I decide to, I shall. But that decision is not made."
This agrees exactly, I believe, with our analysis in the previous post. There is not odd or paradoxical about a conditional used in this way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home